Student Spotlight: Krishangee Gauree, MS Business Analytics ’21

Q:  WHERE DID YOU ATTEND COLLEGE PRIOR TO ENTERING ISENBERG’S MASTER OF SCIENCE IN BUSINESS ANALYTICS (MSBA) PROGRAM? WHAT WAS YOUR MAJOR AREA OF STUDY?

A:  I graduated in the spring of 2020 from the College of Social and Behavioral Sciences at UMass Amherst. My major areas of study were Economics and Communications.

Q: WHAT DID YOU HOPE THE MSBA DEGREE WOULD HELP YOU TO ACCOMPLISH? WHAT WAS YOUR BIGGEST GOAL?

A:  I joined the MSBA program hoping to use my experiences so far to develop a more comprehensive skill set that would help accelerate my career. The MSBA program holds a reputation for offering a good range of classes that teach relevant skill-sets and offer very hands-on experience. It also provides a solid foundation in the different aspects of business and data analytics, which is exactly what I was looking for.

My primary goal during the program was to utilize all available resources and make the most out of my time. From talking to professors to tapping into all of the career resources, the program offered wonderful opportunities that helped me grow both personally and professionally.

Q: WHAT WAS YOUR PATH TO SECURING FULL-TIME EMPLOYMENT AS A FINANCIAL ANALYST AT GLOBAL FOUNDRIES? HOW DID THE CHASE CAREER CENTER HELP YOU ALONG THE WAY?

A: I was able to secure a full-time opportunity as a Financial Analyst at GlobalFoundries with the help of the workshops offered by the Chase Career Center and Isenberg’s Career Day.

I met with representatives from GlobalFoundries at Isenberg’s Career Fair during Fall 2020. I had the opportunity to speak with them for about ten minutes and I made sure to start off with my elevator pitch, which gave them a good idea about me. I made sure to follow up with them to express my interest after attending their information session, after which point I applied to their job posting on IsenbergWorks. This helped me secure my first interview.

Thankfully, I had spent the summer attending interview preparation workshops offered by the Chase Career Center, which made me feel confident. Additionally, I made sure to optimize my resume and cover letter way ahead of time with the help of my career coach, Rachel Synder, which helped me move even faster in the process.

Q: HOW DO YOU THINK YOUR ISENBERG EXPERIENCE WILL BENEFIT YOU PROFESSIONALLY?

A: Isenberg has provided a range of academic and professional opportunities. Even with the recent switch to virtual education, Isenberg has managed to make me feel engaged and motivated. Isenberg has provided me with a variety of classes and amazing professors who have helped me grow. Additionally, Isenberg has provided me with a strong alumni network that I am grateful for during this process.

I was able to attend workshops that introduced me to professionals from different fields who motivated me. Additionally, Isenberg has given me all the tools needed for me to succeed.

Q: WHAT IS YOUR TOP JOB SEARCHING/NETWORKING TIP FOR CURRENT INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS?

A: I believe the best thing anyone can do is to start early and build a strong network that can help guide you through the job process. Personally, I made connections with numerous professionals from different industries to understand the job market better. The Isenberg alumni network is a great place to start networking and it is important to constantly stay in touch with your network.

Searching for a job can be overwhelming, but being organized helped me to stay on track throughout the process. It is very helpful to list all your target companies and to learn more about them before attending career fairs. In addition, attending networking events hosted by different companies is a great way to connect with recruiters. It further helps you realize your strengths and opportunities.

Q: WHAT ADVICE WOULD YOU OFFER INCOMING MSBA STUDENTS TO HELP THEM MAKE THE MOST OF THEIR TIME AT ISENBERG?

A: The MSBA program is a great opportunity for anyone who wants to improve their skill set as the program offers many opportunities to gain relevant tools. Overall, the MSBA program requires hard work and determination as it is an evolving program that provides the right resources to ensure student success.

By Melissa Salva
Melissa Salva Executive Director, Undergraduate Employer Relations & Operations