STUDENT BLOG: Resume Tips from a Career Peer

So today I decided to travel back in time and review my resume that I brought with me to UMass my freshman year. Initially, I was sensitive to allowing a career coach to critique my resume since it included only a few experiences and skills. However, I am so glad that I transformed my resume using the Isenberg-Branded Template. Let’s take a look at the characteristics of my Isenberg-branded resume that makes it rock.

Resume Headings

The only headings necessary for a professional resume are Education, Experience, Activities, and Skills. Recruiters only evaluate these topics when considering students as a candidate for a job.

College students should refrain from including objective statements. It is implied that you are seeking a job or internship – that’s why you are submitting a resume to be reviewed by a company recruiter. We want to preserve this valuable real estate for our work experience bullets.

The education section should include your college(s) and graduation date. It is important to include the month of anticipated graduation. Don’t make a recruiter have to guess when you are expected to graduate! Write it out so that it is easy to identify.

Only include your GPA if it is 3.6 or above. If your GPA is not as strong as you’d like or not available due to transferring into Isenberg, do not feel pressure to include it. There is no reason to discount your candidacy under other applicants with higher GPAs.

Tailoring Your Resume for Specific Applications

Remember to alter your resume based on the position you are applying for. It’s important to include competencies from the job description in your resume so that it will pass through applicant tracking systems and other artificial intelligence tools that filter for strong candidates.

A strong resume will provide a student with the opportunity for an INTERVIEW, not a job offer. Be sure to proofread your document carefully so recruiters are interested in scheduling a call with you.

IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER!!

To protect your privacy, don’t include your home mailing address on your resume – companies are not sending you snail mail. Additionally, your home address could impact your candidacy if you are applying for an out-of-state job, as recruiters may not be willing to consider you if they believe they may need to pay for your relocation.

During my junior year, I submitted only electronic versions of my resume for internship and job applications. I understood this method of recruiting would remain effective long term so I made sure to incorporate small tactics into my resume to allow for easy navigation and submission to recruiters. Here are three secret tips for submitting your electronic resume:

1. Name your file with your last name and first initial. This makes it easy for hiring managers to find and reference your document during the recruitment process. Keep in mind most recruiters have several resumes sitting in their computer and inbox. Make sure yours is the one that stands out.
  2. Save a PDF copy of your resume to your desktop. Saving your resume to your desk top will allow you to immediately locate it on your hard drive. I speak from experience of always finding .doc & .docx tricky to maintain formatting, so do yourself a favor and save your polished resume as a pdf.
  3. Hyperlink your LinkedIn URL underneath your name at the top of the resume. This is a creative way to professionally brand yourself when submitting a resume electronically. LinkedIn shares more about your experience and character than can be included on your one-page resume, so it’s great to put your profile out there for recruiters to view.

Kamraan Moore is a Chase Career Peer – click HERE to access his bio.

By Kamraan Moore
Kamraan Moore Chase Career Peer