Student Spotlight: Gabriel Workman, OIM & Mathematics Double Major with Statistics Concentration, ’22

Q: OUTSIDE OF CLASSES, WHAT CLUBS/ACTIVITIES ARE YOU INVOLVED IN HERE AT ISENBERG/UMASS?

A: Outside of class, I am the President of the Isenberg Operation and Information Management Club and the Director of Special Projects for the McCormack Strategy and Analytics Club. These clubs were the best opportunities for me to learn more about job opportunities in OIM and combine my passion for soccer with data analytics.

Q: WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE ISENBERG MEMORY THUS FAR?

A: My favorite Isenberg memory thus far was the McCormack Annual Awards Banquet my freshman year. The event is held every year to honor scholarship recipients, and I remember feeling very proud to be included and surrounded by fascinating alumni. Plus, you better believe I’ll be at any event that provides a buffet, no questions asked.

Q: WHAT DID YOU DO THIS SUMMER?

A: This summer, I was contracted to work as a data analyst at Havas Group, a global communications company. I worked closely with the Media Services team.

Q: WHAT WAS YOUR PATH TO FINDING YOUR SUMMER INTERNSHIP AT HAVAS GROUP?

A: I used LinkedIn actively to network and meet the right people. Through informational interviews, I was able to showcase my Power BI, Python and R skills from projects and presentations. They saw an opportunity for me to help their team and trusted me to support their current company initiative using Power BI and R visualizations.

Q: WHAT DO YOU HOPE TO PURSUE AFTER GRADUATION? HOW HAS THE CHASE CAREER CENTER HELPED YOU ALONG THE WAY?

A: After graduation, I want to pursue a career in Data Science. Data Science is an evolving, creative, problem-solving oriented field being integrated into every aspect of our daily life, and I love the idea of studying a subject that can be applied to any industry I am passionate about, for now that is Sports, Music, or Tech. The Chase Career Center helped me clean up my resume and LinkedIn, prepare for interviews and decide that OIM was the right fit for me. Rachel Snyder and the other Chase Career Center career coaches have always made me feel like they would do anything to support me and my career goals.

Q: HOW DO YOU THINK YOUR OVERALL ISENBERG EXPERIENCE WILL BENEFIT YOU PROFESSIONALLY?

A: Once I decided on a career that interested me, Isenberg had all the resources I could need to succeed. Isenberg is full of great places to get involved in career-related activities and resourceful people with similar career interests as you. Through getting involved in Isenberg clubs, I made connections with tons of examples of successful students and professionals that were willing to share their experiences. I believe their advice and recommendations were helpful when I was trying to get hired for past opportunities and will benefit me future too.

From a coursework standpoint, Isenberg benefited me professionally by teaching me relevant software and teaching me how to learn other software in the future. As an OIM major, it gave me confidence picking classes and skills to learn knowing that Isenberg created an Advisory Board with OIM alumni/professionals to guarantee the course curriculum and skills taught accurately reflects life after UMass. Through Isenberg, I was able to learn software like Python, Tableau and SQL and learn others on my own time like R and Power BI.

Q: WHAT IS YOUR TOP NETWORKING TIP FOR CURRENT STUDENTS?

A: My main tip is to be confident in yourself! Isenberg will prepare you with the skills and curriculum you need to succeed in your major, so network with the confidence academically/professionally that you are where you are supposed to be now and will be where you are supposed to be in the future. If you remind yourself that the worst thing someone can say to you is “no” and that everyone started somewhere, it takes a lot of the pressure off that comes with speaking to someone that could benefit your career. In fact, most people that you might be networking with remember their time as a student and might enjoy helping you if you show an interest in their profession and gratitude that they shared their time