Student Spotlight: Betame DeBono, Finance & Economics Double Major, ’23

Q: OUTSIDE OF CLASSES, WHAT CLUBS/ACTIVITIES ARE YOU INVOLVED IN HERE AT ISENBERG/UMASS?

A: Outside of class, I serve as a senior analyst in the Minutemen Fixed Income Fund, which is a
student-run investment fund that invests in High-Yield grade corporate bonds. In previous
semesters, I additionally was a member of the Umass Investment Club and served as the
President my sophomore year. Outside of clubs, I also work as a teaching assistant for Professor
Nora Junaid in Intro to Business Information Systems where I teach students the value and
versatility of Excel and various other MS Office Suite applications.

Q: WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE ISENBERG MEMORY THUS FAR?

A: My favorite Isenberg memory thus far has to be attending my first information session with Citi during the
fall of my freshman year. During the event I learned of the world of financial services and had
the chance to speak with alumni from the firm. Although I felt so lost in the moment, I went
from barely knowing what Citi or any bulge bracket bank is to later being offered an internship
with the firm two years later. It is a surreal feeling, and I would not have had the opportunity if
Isenberg did not have such generous alumni who valued their education enough to come back
and speak to students like myself.

Q: WHAT DID YOU DO THIS SUMMER?

A: This past summer I interned at the Royal Bank of Canada (RBC) in NYC as an Investment Banking
Analyst on the Power, Utilities, and Infrastructure team. Next summer, I will be interning at Citi
as an Investment Banking Analyst in NYC.

Q: WHAT WAS YOUR PATH TO FINDING YOUR SUMMER INTERNSHIP AT ROYAL BANK OF CANADA?

A: During the summer of 2020, I learned of RBC through a close friend who had spoken about
RBC’s internship program. After reaching out to her, I was put in touch with Isenberg alumni at
the firm who were able to provide me with information about RBC, investment banking, and the
complexities of interviews. After applying and multiple rounds of interviews, I received the offer
for the internship which I completed this summer.

Q: WHAT DO YOU HOPE TO PURSUE AFTER GRADUATION? HOW HAS THE CHASE CAREER CENTER HELPED YOU ALONG THE WAY?

A: After graduation I will be looking to pursue a career as an investment banking or private equity
analyst in New York City. The Chase Career Center has been pivotal in my ability to be equipped
to land networking calls, interviews, and most importantly an internship on the path to my post-graduation pursuits.

Q: HOW DO YOU THINK YOUR OVERALL ISENBERG EXPERIENCE WILL BENEFIT YOU PROFESSIONALLY?

A: I believe my Isenberg experience will benefit me professionally thanks to the mindset it instills: a
determined student who can think, act, reflect, and can truly do anything. Being surrounded by
so many intelligent and driven individuals has pushed me to better myself, and I am grateful to
Isenberg for bringing me some of my closest friends, mentors, and colleagues.

Q: WHAT IS YOUR TOP NETWORKING TIP FOR CURRENT STUDENTS?

A: A networking tip which I received when I first came to Isenberg was to be genuinely interested in
who you are speaking to because it does not go unnoticed. So many students make the mistake
of networking to network, and it is easy to spot. Be yourself, listen well, and ask genuine
questions, and you will learn something from every call.

By Cecelia Jenkins
Cecelia Jenkins Cecelia Jenkins