Student Spotlight: Grace Dixon, Marketing & Spanish ’21

Q: OUTSIDE OF CLASSES, WHAT CLUBS/ACTIVITIES ARE YOU INVOLVED IN HERE AT ISENBERG/UMASS?

A: I have been involved with Isenberg Women in Business which has provided amazing resources for my career development and skills. Additionally, I have been involved with the UMass Ski and Board Club which has been a great way to meet new people along with the UMass Surf club. Overall, Isenberg and UMass provide students with endless resources to get involved with activities they enjoy, develop new skills, and meet new people which has been a gift. Additionally, I am also a social media manager for a small business Whalen Designs. I have been running their Instagram and expanding their presence on social media since last October.

Q: WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE ISENBERG MEMORY THUS FAR

A: I would say one of my favorite Isenberg memories so far has been the Marketing Career Networking Night (MCNN). This night was a virtual event where we were able to connect with UMass Alumni, professors, companies, and other students. I had a great night talking to companies, and it definitely helped with my interviewing and interpersonal skills. I recommend attending any event like this which allowed me to break out of my shell and further my marketing career.

Q: WHAT DID YOU DO THIS SUMMER?

A: This summer, I served as the Marketing Intern for South Shore Health. I worked closely with the marketing and video departments and gained insight into relationship management and internal communications, as well. I was excited to have the opportunity to be a ghostwriter and publish blogs, interview colleagues about their experiences, and assist with decision-making for advertisements, social media content, and even videography. This internship was an amazing experience that helped me better determine the direction in which I want to take my career.

Here is the link to a blog I was a ghost writer for: https://www.southshorehealth.org/wellness/blog/how-help-children-transition-back-school-new-world

Q: WHAT WAS YOUR PATH TO FINDING YOUR SUMMER INTERNSHIP AT SOUTH SHORE HEALTH?

A: This summer internship was a result of a great networking experience. Last spring, I connected with a member of the company on LinkedIn and had a phone call with them. During this phone call, I asked a ton of questions about the industry, the company, and whether they would be hiring for the summer. From there, I sent my resume and portfolio and continued to apply to the company.

Q: WHAT DO YOU HOPE TO PURSUE AFTER GRADUATION? HOW HAS THE CHASE CAREER CENTER HELPED YOU ALONG THE WAY?

A: I am currently looking for jobs in digital marketing & advertising post-graduation. Over the years, I have utilized the Chase Career Center’s resume reviews, interview help sessions, and career coaches. Without their help, I do not know where I would be with my resume and career. They also have partnered with great companies to allow students to develop great relationships with recruiters and learn more about these companies. They even allow students to attend interview workshops with specific companies (something I am currently signed up for). They truly provide us with specialized resources to ensure our success.

Q: HOW DO YOU THINK YOUR OVERALL ISENBERG EXPERIENCE WILL BENEFIT YOU PROFESSIONALLY?

A: Overall, Isenberg gives its students a great advantage by helping to develop our careers and skills and providing us with unmatched resources. Whether it be career fairs, a diverse selection of courses, and amazing professors, I have been able to utilize connections with alumni, professors, and students to gain insight and advice for my future. Isenberg has positioned me very well for my post-graduate career, and I am excited to see what comes next.

Q: WHAT IS YOUR TOP NETWORKING TIP FOR CURRENT STUDENTS? 

A: My top networking tip would be to step out of your comfort zone!! Although it may feel weird to connect with or approach someone you do not know, it could change your whole career path. Ask as many questions as you can when you get the opportunity. By making those connections, you will be able to get one step ahead and know what the right fit for you could be.