Student Spotlight: Yasir Khan, Hospitality & Tourism Management ’22

Q: OUTSIDE OF CLASSES, WHAT CLUBS/ACTIVITIES ARE YOU INVOLVED IN HERE AT ISENBERG/UMASS?

A: I am currently the Fundraising and Volunteering Chair for the American Hotels & Lodging Association’s UMass chapter, and I’m also the External Relations chair for the HTM Career Day. That’s my favorite thing about being here at UMass- there’s a club for every niche, and in my experience the club members have always been extremely welcoming.

Q: WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE ISENBERG MEMORY THUS FAR?

A: My favorite Isenberg memory has to be when I finally got to come to campus after completing my first semester virtually. It’s extremely challenging trying to navigate being back on campus, but hey, that’s all part of the experience!

Q: WHAT DID YOU DO THIS SUMMER?

I interned with Marriott International at The Ritz-Carlton in Lake Tahoe over the summer! Living in Reno and driving up into the mountains everyday to work are memories that I will cherish forever.

Q: WHAT WAS YOUR PATH TO FINDING YOUR SUMMER INTERNSHIP AT MARRIOTT INTERNATIONAL?

A: I heard about the Marriott International internship through their recruiter who was present at the HTM Career Day in February this year. I was unable to schedule a one-on-one session with them, seeing as they were one of the most popular companies at the event, so I ended up applying externally when their applications opened and managed to secure the opportunity that way.

Q: WHAT DO YOU HOPE TO PURSUE AFTER GRADUATION? HOW HAS THE CHASE CAREER CENTER HELPED YOU ALONG THE WAY?

A: I would like to stay within the Hospitality industry and work at a full-service/luxury brand hotel once I graduate and hopefully be at an executive level position in the next five years. Had it not been for the Chase Career Center, I would not have had the opportunity I had this summer. Special shoutout to Dave Wells at Chase for helping me prepare for the interviews and for getting my resume in order.

Q: HOW DO YOU THINK YOUR OVERALL ISENBERG EXPERIENCE WILL BENEFIT YOU PROFESSIONALLY?

A: Working with the wonderful people at Chase Career Center and the number of incredibly successful Isenberg Alumni I get to meet, I feel extremely lucky to be an Isenberg student. Learning more than what’s in our books and getting to speak with industry professionals allows me to better prepare myself for the professional world, and I have only Isenberg to thank for that.

Q: WHAT IS YOUR TOP NETWORKING TIP FOR CURRENT STUDENTS? 

A: My top networking tip would be to not be afraid of reaching out to people. You will be amazed at how many people are willing to help college students, especially when the person reaching out goes to a reputable school like ISOM. The key is to avoid being too transactional when approaching others. LinkedIn has been an amazing way for me and some of my peers to connect with professionals in our industry, and so I would urge everyone to make use of this wonderful resource available to all.