If you have not yet secured a job or internship for next summer, you may be worried about fielding questions from family members during the holidays.
Isenberg’s Office of Career Success understands that you may be anxious about these conversations, and we want you to feel prepared to respond with a solid action plan for the coming weeks and months! We hope you are inspired by the thoughts and suggestions below:
Just Good to Know
1) You are not alone – Career Coaches will be available over the winter break period! Click here to schedule an appointment via Navigate.
2) Employer recruiting will ramp up again at the start of the spring semester! In fact, there are multiple career fairs scheduled to take place in February, including UMass Career Blast 2023 which will take place in the Campus Center Auditorium on Feb. 22nd & 23rd.
Immediate Ways to Build Skills/Experience and Expand Career Intelligence
4) Check out the multiple “5-hour commitment” simulated work experiences with Fortune 100/500 firms being sponsored by Forage! View customized suggestions by selecting your major page on IConnect and clicking on “Gain Industry Skills and Experience.”
5) Learn more about employers and opportunities from the comfort of your home or dorm room by keeping an eye on the IConnect Calendar for virtual recruiting events and information sessions!
Ongoing Actions to Consider
7) Participate in Road Trips to the Real World and visit potential employers over the January break!
8) Conduct research on industries of interest – check out the Vault Guides customized to your major page on IConnect!
9) Use the TIARA model to engage in career conversations with Isenberg/UMass alumni and other key professionals!
If you are a First Year or Sophomore Seeking an Internship
10) Use keywords “freshman,” “freshmen,” or “sophomore” in your internship searches on Handshake and other job boards.
And, a BONUS Tip!
BIG INTERVIEW is one of the BEST tools available for you to practice and strengthen your interview skills. Access Big Interview and the Quick Start Guide on IConnect!