UMass International F-1 Students

The F-1 visa is intended for non-immigrants wishing to pursue academic studies and/or language training programs for a period of time in the United States. Students (and their F-2 dependents) under UMass sponsorship are issued an I-20 to obtain an F visa stamp at a U.S. consulate or embassy. Most students study with an F-1 visa at UMass. To be eligible for an F-1, you must be admitted to a full-time program of study, meet the English requirement, and be able to show proof of funding for at least the first year of study. Students should not enter on a tourist (B-1/B-2 or WT visa waiver) visa if your intent is to go to school.

By Kim Figueroa
Kim Figueroa Career Coach Kim Figueroa