Student Spotlight: Kristin Anselmo, Hospitality & Tourism Management Major, Economics Minor, ’23

Q: OUTSIDE OF CLASSES, WHAT CLUBS/ACTIVITIES ARE YOU INVOLVED IN HERE AT ISENBERG/UMASS?

A: I am currently the co-secretary for our UMass chapter of Eta Sigma Delta, an international hospitality management honor society. In addition to this, Isenberg has recently launched a diversity, equity and inclusion council of which I have had the privilege of being a member since fall of 2020. It is important that we continue making strategic improvements to DEI efforts and raising awareness of prevalent issues going on. I look forward to what this year will bring and how we will further develop community resources.

Q: WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE ISENBERG MEMORY THUS FAR?

A: My favorite Isenberg memory thus far has been taking part in the Hospitality and Tourism Management department’s spring rapid recruiting event. I first attended this during my freshman year, pre-covid, and gained invaluable experience from it. I encourage everyone to attend as many Isenberg events as possible! They are great for networking as well as professional development.

Q: WHAT DID YOU DO THIS SUMMER?

A: This past summer I was a Banquets & Catering Intern for Chelo’s Restaurant Group in Rhode Island, as well as a bartender in one of our locations. It was an awesome experience, being able to work on the booking end of operations as well as stepping in to help with day-of-event operations as needed.

Q: WHAT WAS YOUR PATH TO FINDING YOUR SUMMER INTERNSHIP AT CHELO’S RESTAURANT GROUP?

A: I found my summer internship from within, as I already worked for this company prior to the internship. Numerous companies focus on internal talent acquisition and recruitment, hiring from within for new roles. I started as a food & beverage server then worked in various other positions within the restaurant before I was offered this internship for the summer of 2021.

Q: WHAT DO YOU HOPE TO PURSUE AFTER GRADUATION? HOW HAS THE CHASE CAREER CENTER HELPED YOU ALONG THE WAY?

A: After graduation, I hope to pursue a career on the corporate end of hospitality or in a related operations role. The Chase Career Center has helped me immensely since I transferred into Isenberg at the end of my freshman year. I have taken the initiative to book regular meetings with coaches, even amidst COVID-19, which has allowed me to make constant updates to my resume, prepare for interviews, develop my networking scope and gain exposure to endless opportunities. Chase offers so many resources that can make all the difference if you take advantage of them, and the coaches are truly invested in student success.

Q: HOW DO YOU THINK YOUR OVERALL ISENBERG EXPERIENCE WILL BENEFIT YOU PROFESSIONALLY?

A: My Isenberg experience will benefit me professionally because it has allowed me to build the foundation of my professional career. From developing relationships with professors, alumni, and fellow classmates, I have been able to gain new perspectives which have led me to even greater opportunities. Getting involved in this community makes all the difference. It is not limited to what you learn in class Monday-Friday, but is about the effort you put in outside of class. Isenberg fosters personal and professional growth that will most definitely carry over to my post-graduate career.

Q: WHAT IS YOUR TOP NETWORKING TIP FOR CURRENT STUDENTS? 

A: My top networking tip for current students is to never underestimate a possible connection! Staying open-minded and eager to pursue new relationships will only help us as we progress in our careers. Connect with leaders that are representative of your values and always keep building your sphere of influence. These motivated and inspiring individuals will help you as you navigate the world of business. Networking can be intimidating at first, but by taking initiative early on in your Isenberg career, you set yourself up for success.