Should I Put My Pronouns on My Resume? Ask the “Queer Career Coach”

While we now use online job boards and Zoom meetings in place of classified ads and formal handshakes, one thing remains the same: A good resume can speak volumes about you, before you even open your mouth. Your resume is the very first way most companies, recruiters, and hiring managers will come to learn about who you are.

This can make any hopeful applicant a little anxious. What kind of picture does my resume paint? Am I giving the impression that I can do this job well? This is a lot of pressure to put on a one- or two-page document. Do a quick Google search and you will find thousands of opinions on the “right way” to write your resume.

The good news is that times are changing and there’s no cookie cutter resume that works for everyone. What used to be a black-and-white, one-page, bullet-pointed list is now a colorful marketing tool designed to grab attention—and that opens the door for candidates to share more about themselves with potential hiring teams. For many job seekers, this includes their pronouns.

Click here to read the full article by The Muse!

By Melissa Salva
Melissa Salva Executive Director, Undergraduate Employer Relations & Operations